Monday, November 18, 2013

You Never Know When You Can Help Someone.

I generally try to to tell tales out of school, but this one made me really feel good inside and is precisely why I've kept my transition public.

The other night at a youth group I facilitate, for the first time I talked a bit about myself. Not a lot granted, but a bit. It's not my group to talk about myself by any means, but I've never declined to answer questions. Tonight was unusual as there were quite a few transgender topics and questions brought up by the kids, themselves. After the night was done and everyone was gone, the second facilitator and I were cleaning up and finishing the paperwork when there was a knock on the door.

In the group is an eighteen year old girl  Sue is a lesbian with an unusual and insecure home life.  Thankfully she is planning on going to college, far away to get a clean break and a fresh start. Sue came back and knocked on the door. Sue said can I talk to you? (meaning me)...... And Sue's first question to me, with both fear and a hint  of tears in her eyes was "How did you come out as trans?" We talked for a few minutes with me answer as best and as honest as I could, all within earshot of the other facilitator, who is at the group more times a month than I am, and knows Sue much, much better than I do.

When all was said and done, Sue left  and I looked over at my co-facilitator , who with a big smile said, "You did great and Sue has never come right out open with that." Sue talks about her problems at home and school but this was a huge break through.

Sue left with a smile, though I could still read her eyes were saying relief, yet with a bit of hidden sadness, as she thanked me immensely for being a huge help.


Five years earlier, the first Nashua Telegraph article helped a young lady, whom was unknown to me at the time, and her mother didn't understand what her daughter as going through, until my story was front and center on the Sunday paper. I received a brief but powerful "thank you" e-mail, on my first day in Montreal, which made me very happy.

 If I can help one person better themselves, my own humility is a small price to pay.

This is what makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment