Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Reviews From My Talk at SNHU

Although I'm always scared to death going into my talks at SNHU, once I get there I feel fine and things usually just flow. Generally I leave regretting things I meant to say. In fact this year, I was up all night AFTER remembering things I should have added.

Generally, I just try to speak about why people like myself are normal, not freaks and throw away the stereotypes Hollywood,  sensationalized media and extreme right wing wackos throw at you. Usually every year, I get a few positive remarks. But it appears SNHU has a new digital bulletin board. I got overwhelmed with comments. All positive. And they all listened and got the simple message I was trying to convey. These comments, though I have no clue who said any of them, it doesn't matter, made it all worth while. I'm truly happy.

Without any editing from me or the professor, Traci., I present the awesome words of the students.

FROM THE CLASS


I’ve not doctored these…

I also think people should be more comfortable in their own skin. Cynthia is a great example she is who she wants to be and was able to keep most of her friends and family. The people who stayed are people worth keeping around. Also she has met a lot of people from the sounds of it. People that were going through the same situation as she was and gained many new friendships along the way.” 


“Cynthia was a great speaker and I enjoyed having her come in to share her experience. I still find it hard to understand if she liked girls to begin with then why would she want to give up her penis and become a self made Lesbian? Either way I am happy for her. People should do what makes them happy and she must have known that the surgery was right for her.” 


“I noticed that when we had our guest speaker Cynthia come in, the men in the classroom did not ask any questions and I was just wondering why?  Was it too uncomfortable for them?  Did they feel like if they asked a question they would look homosexual?  Was it to awkward for them in general?” 

“Thank you for posting this! I felt the same neutrality toward individuals who wanted a sex change before this week's class. Listening to Cynthia's story was both eye-opening and inspiring to hear. I also admire Cynthia's journey and wish her the best. The most important thing that I took away from hearing about her experience was that gender and sex are two very separate issues. What gender you see yourself as has absolutely nothing to do with who you are attracted to. “ 

“Great point, Stephen. In addition to helping other transgender individuals, I also think that people like Cynthia, who are willing to share their stories, help educate uniformed individuals. Sometimes meeting someone and understanding their personal journey is enough to change minds and beliefs.”

“When I first read the article I was intrigued by the struggles she underwent to do what she felt she needed to do. After meeting her and listening to her tell the actual story I realized how emotionaly painful this process was for her. Not only do I  comend her for the challenges she faced but her ability to open up and help others so much. It must be difficult I can only imagine the treatment she must have had from others. “

“I totally agree with you at first I was unsure of what to say to her or how to act. Mainly because I was not sure of how she would be like but after listening to her and having time to see what she was like I realized how wrong I was for being unsure she is just a regular person like the rest of us.” 

I found Cynthia to be an incredible person based on the story she told to us. It must have been so difficult coping with all of the problems she had as a child and young adult and even today with having people not quite understanding her journey. I was fortunate enough to hear her story along with everyone else in the class but I wish that others could understand because it opened my eyes to a whole other side of things."

“I just wish that Cynthia had the opportunity to change before it got to the point of almost suicide. Back even just 20 years ago, people were much less accepting of different types of people which must have been incredibly difficult. I am so glad that she found her comfort and I wish her luck in all to come.”

Before Cynthia came to class to speak about her journey to become a woman I never gave much thought to individuals who wanted a sex change. I didn’t have a negative or a positive opinion on the subject but to hear how she felt and what she needed in order to be fulfilled in her own life makes me question why so many are willing to judge others and quickly dismiss their personal problems as phases. 


I admire Cynthia for coming into the class to speak to us. I have now formed an opinion that life is too short to live unhappy and we should always follow what our heart tells us. I am assuming that John had an innate feeling that he was born in the wrong body and nothing he did felt right. 


My impression of Cynthia when she was talking to the class was she seemed very caring, compassionate, honest, and there wasn’t anything “freakish” about her which is a stigma often attached by ignorance. I wish all her dreams come true and that she is able to live a happy life now that her physical and emotional well being are aligned.”

 Sometimes people, especially when dealing with a situation like Cynthia was, need to hear about others who are like them so they don't feel so alone. If people like Cynthia didn't open up and share their story, then many transgender individuals or people thinking about becoming transgender would feel lost and lonely. And this doesn't just go for things like transgenderism, but for just about anything that makes someone feel like they are the only one dealing with that problem. When someone feels like they aren't the only one dealing with the issues that they are, it allows them to act out more freely.”

 “I really enjoyed hearing Ms. Tebbetts speak about her experiences this evening. She clearly has a wealth of knowledge and wisdom to share, and I'm happy to have had an opportunity to learn from her.” 

Excellent job, Cyn, excellent job!!!! (and no, I’m not hiding negative comments. There weren’t any.) 
{{Hugs}}

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. You should be proud of yourself. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lola, you have been one of my strongest supporters since day one. Something I'll never forget and I love you too.

    ReplyDelete