Monday, April 23, 2012

The Ten Days Spent At Dr Brassard's 2011 (Part 4)

When I had spent my time in Montreal for my surgery, I had met a lot of great people, from all over the world. That includes the patients as well as their families and friends. In two weeks, and countless amounts of people, only one person rubbed me the wrong way. This person though nice, seemed to have more, ok a lot more underlying issues then gender identity. Granted I'm far from a psychologist, but I don't believe gender identity was this person's issue at all. Thankfully, without me saying a word,  my surgery date sister confided her exact same feelings about this girl to me. I was relieved that it wasn't just my feelings. The person in question is from a major city in western Canada. I fear one day she is going to wake up and say "What have I done?"

The person that Karyn and I had concerns with on the arrival day, person "G" was from the very same city in western Canada., as the girl mentioned above. I believe the girl creating the commotion that first night was also from the same locale. I swear there is psychologist in that town that is simply going through the motions and signing the letters as a cash machine, because these are not the only people from that exact locale that I have heard about with the same issues or readiness or should I dare improper diagnosis. Always remember, there are good doctors and there are some that are bad. same goes for psychologists too. some are in it for the patient. Some are in it for the paycheck. I sincerely hope these people don't end up victims of a letter writing machine.

The one childlike girl that was creating a major fracas that first night and taking all the ice, I was told. was a major handful before our arrival. I can't imagine it being worse. Very immature, not doing as instructed or following any of the doctors instructions. But one day I was sitting the sun room while the patients ate their lunch. Somehow the subject of computers came up. Suddenly this childlike girl was taking about main framing and other in depth operating system talk, that far exceeded the average computer user. This girl was a computer genius. I was shocked. But I immediately knew that there was two sides to her and what her problem was. Aspergers. She wound up leaving many days early, it turns out she wasn't doing her dilations and her new surgery was healing itself up and not in a good way. I have since learned from talking with people in the medical field in the U.S., that as long as she was granted her two letters for surgery, Dr Brassard or any doctor could not deny surgery or would be open to a lawsuit.

Now the above isn't a commentary on Canadian health or anyone in particular, but I believe I'm just amazed that no one from here family or caretaker was with this person throughout this process. I hope all turns out well, but I have severe doubts.

This same lunch time, as I'm sitting in the sun room playing on my laptop, person "G" leaves the dining room and heads up the stairway to her room. Note this is less than 72 hours after her surgery. Much to my dismay, she was wearing tights and an even shorter skirt than she arrived in. Without trying, AT ALL, everything was exposed on her backside. The skirt wasn't even low enough to cover her butt. Nothing was left to the imagination. Nothing. Plus the thought of tight clothes on that area so soon? What was she thinking? Obviously she wasn't.

But it didn't seem to concern person "G" as over the next few days her meal time topics of conversation were far from proper. She stood bend over the dinner table in her short-short skirt, hence exposing herself, not using any table manners, opening her tights at the dinner table and stuffing her ice pack in her tights, you name it. Tact, dignity, ladylike and class were not in this person's vocabulary. This was one time for certain that our first impressions were dead on the mark.

But it was also in the Karyn's post op days that the attitude would change. All for the positive. For what was a scary, anxiety filled start was now completed. The mood lightened and it really became a lot of fun being at the convalescence house. Between the staff and the patients, a true bond was formed. As much as I got along with the people during my stay, this group of people male-to-female and female-to-male were a great group of people. In fact, I'm in better contact with them today then I was with my own "Class of January 2008"

No comments:

Post a Comment