Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Old Racing Photos

Originally posted on March 14, 2010

Old Racing Photos

Current mood: complacent

Lately, I've started to re-post (Facebook & especially Racersbored) the many racing photos I took in my youth. Granted this was long before digital cameras, so it took me a long time to scan them all. Not only time but I burnt out a scanner.

But the 1978-1984 photos were easy to post. I had scanned them back in the winter of 2004-2005, so they were already on disk and ready to go. Posting the later day stuff is taking longer because, I need to scan them all, and I'm also remembering the people, places and times that I truly miss. I never appreciated those three things then, as much as I do now.


But here's the story no-one knows until now. In the fall of 2004, I was at the lowest point of my life. I had a reason for scanning those photos back then. I scanned and sent hundreds, if not thousands of photos to those that would appreciate them. Not that they were great photos, but they did represent an era that can't be replaced. I spent every available moment scanning. Sick, tired or both.


But my plan was to share these treasures as the last part of my "legacy". Something to be remembered by. The goal was to scan every photo, send them accordingly and find a caretaker for the negatives and prints. More likely than not, I was leaning on giving everything to noted racing photographer, Jim Feeney.


My suicide was eminent and this was my last true project. Two things saved me. Spring arrived and my scanner burnt out. Had the scanner not burnt out, I wouldn't be here to post this. I was that serious and that close. Fortunately, those events hit and I came to my senses. John had to end, but not me.


But when I post those photos, I'm not only reminded to the people, places and times, but the fact that I'm here five years longer than planned.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum added March 28, 2012

I had also started scanning the hundreds of photos I had taken in Indianapolis with the group of friends with the good intentions of putting them all on special disk and making copies for everyone in the group. Out of the 8 to 10 of them, only two chose to remain friends, John Ashley & Don Horvath. The others, even the ones who swore to stick by me no matter what, abandoned me like I had the plaque.

Needless to say I'm glad I never finished that project.

A small portion of super modified photos can be found on the website of two friends that did stick by me, Bob Gangwer and Robert Gill. I stopped posting the photos on FaceBook to help drive more hits on Wing Side Up. They can be found here http://wingsideup.com/media/supermodified-photo-gallery/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Cynthia. I'm glad you stuck around...if no other reason than to bust my balls lol. See ya soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't busting you balls, you'd wonder what was wrong. But then, it does help keep you in line.

      Delete