Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 11 (Sunday)

Originally posted February 4 2008, for February 3, 2008

Day 11 (Sunday)

Current mood: overstimulated

A huge morning. I woke up early fully knowing today the stent and catheter are going to be removed before breakfast. Breakfast is at 8:00. Well, I heard some walking outside my room, it's easy to differentiate between patients and personnel. But sure enough, the nurse (Carole) didn't arrive to my room until..........8:00.


As she started to get herself together, realized she forgot some items. Another delay. She arrived back in two torturously long minutes (yes I clock watched). Started back up and.........had two of one item, none of another. Yet another long two minute drill! But on eack snap on the stents stitches, I could feel the pressure release. Soon I was the proud mother of.....a five inch long, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 diameter stent. No wonder I couldn't bend, cough, move, turn, sit, etc. etc. etc.


Next it was the catheter removal. Carole told me to relax (yeah, right) and breath deep. As I was
distracted by a deep exhale, she yanked the catheter out. Strange feeling for sure, but not nearly the pain I anticipated. After this it was breakfast and then I was allowed a few minutes of rest and then my first douching lesson. As she stepped away for a moment, Carole told me I may having a problem peeing the first time. Nope. When she returned a moment later, the stream was a flowing.


Then it was time for dilation lessons. I will be doing this five times a day for the next five days. Then four times a day for a month. Three times a day for two months and twice a day for three months. Yes, I just got my "tunnel of love" now I have to use it five times a day. Can't it rest?


Dilation consists of a set of five dilators. You use three per session. Starting with the smallest
obviously. Think of a solid, silo type object, carefully marked to the five inch stop line, to start. I was told the first one (0) was about as thick as a pen. B.S.!!!! The starter has the girth of one of those large markers or extremely fat pencils found at amusement parks where you turn in your ski-ball tickets.


Later, my mother called. I had called her Tuesday after surgery, her tone had changed to a supportive mom one. I called again on Friday and she was even more-so being the concerned mom. Knowing my usual habits, she was insisting when I got home it was rest, rest, rest. But in our call today, I could hear she was no longer fighting my transition and clearly accepting me for what I was, her child.


The rest of the day was spent on meals and dilating. I carefully timed my dilation's as to not interfere with the Super Bowl and my last sitz bath to coincide with halftime. Sorry Tom Petty, I saw you in your prime, I wasn't missing the game for a halftime show.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The view from Racersbored

I'm lying stark naked, virtually spread eagle, waiting for the Polysporin on the sutures to dry, and Michelle starts texting me. Nobody forewarned me they snuck a camera in my room last weekend.

Cynthia
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The catheter is out! The stint is out!!!!!!!! THANK GAWD!!!!!!!! :)

I just had my first dilation, piece of cake. Not even remotely painful, just time consuming.

Cyn is a happy girl. Thanks to all of you. I love you all very, very much.

Group ((HUG))

Cynthia
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWESOME CYN!!! Let the fun begin!!!

Mary
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YAY...glad to hear all is going well..awesome news.

Nathan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

woooohooooo almost party time :p

Michelle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Cyn, I hope you've got your Pats gear on..I wanna hearing you cheering from here!! On a side note it sounds like all is going as well as planned. can't wait for your return.

Heidi
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The View From MySpace

I'm happy that things are going great and things with your Mom have improved. It's wonderful and often times rare to find a parent who just accept their child for what they are, their child. Again I'm so happy for you.

I have two questions for you. First, what did you name "baby stent"? and second, are you gonna put "baby stent" in a jar and keep him/her on your bookcase?? LOL JK Sorry, it just wouldn't be a message from the ol' B Griss if it didn't have some silly dark humor in it.

Melinda
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby stent is in a red bag tagged for medical waste!!!! Probably incinerated by now! I can only hope it suffered.

Cynthia
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YEAAAAA!!!! You can go pee on the potty like a big girl!! I am so proud of you...... :)

Jennifer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am so happy to hear that your mom is coming to terms with your transition. i can only imagine how important her acceptance must mean to you. your spirit is getting stronger and stronger with every obstacle you conquer. watch out world!!

catheters? my worst nightmare!! i have had many health issues but i still think the catheter is one of the most painful procedures ever!! perhaps because it is so invasive!

i won't even mention the superbowl...

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment